1. Install the Portman programming software on you computer.
2. Connect your RS232 serial cable to the com port on your computer and the other end to the serial connection on the Portman modem then apply power to the modem
3. Locate the little black button on the side of the modem with all of the Molex jacks. Press and hold it for approx. 2 sec. This will cause the modem to cut power until the button is released.
4. After releasing the button, immediately launch the Portman programming software. Wait for the software to connect to the modem and opens the programming interface.
5. Fill in the information for the "Device ID", "APN", and in either UDP or TCP (not both) the IP address and port number to where GPS data will be sent (usually IP address of computer running the RASTRAC IOP). This information is the minimum required to enable the modem to get on the GPRS network and communicate with RASTRAC.
6. Fill in the desired parameters on all other pages in the programming software to your likeing.
7. When all information has been entered and your ready to program the modem click on the button towards the bottom of the window labeled "Apply All".
The program will write all parameters entered into the software to the modem. Some fields require a check mark next to them before they will be applied. Pressing on the "Apply" button will cause the software to write only the page currently being viewed. "Request" and "Request All" work the same way except instead of sending parameters to the modem, they will pull them from the modem and is a good way to verify programming.
The button labeled "Save" allows you to save the configuration somewhere on your computer so that you can retrieve it with the "load" button to either check programming in a specific modem or to program another modem identically after changing the "Device ID" in the "User Detail" page.
The "Initialize All Data" button on the "User Detail" page will erase the entire configuration in the modem. Be careful with this one.
When finished programming the modem, press the "Exit PC Setup" button and click "OK" to close the application.